Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Another Day in the Life...

And here I am...with 3 days off.  Yay!  Work has been...challenging lately.  Yeah, we've had the physical exam and vaccine appointments...and the kitten with upper respiratory disease appointments...and the old cat dying of kidney failure appointments...but we've also been seeing a lot of weird random cases.  Or hard to treat cases.  

I had one the other day that scared the crap out of me...7-weeks pregnant (almost full-term) barn cat came in for being attacked by a dog.  Only wound (amazingly) was a hole in the skin of her belly near her back legs.  But it was infected and big and needed to be cleaned up, have dead tissue cut away, and stitched shut before she had kittens.  And we can't use...pretty much anything in our clinic...to anesthetize a pregnant cat safely.  So we had to weigh options and just go with it and fix her as fast as humanly possible.  Which I did.  And I had no way of knowing if I had just killed the kittens to save the mom or if they would live.  And then we get a call the next day that she's gone into labor.  Oh yay.  But somehow she pulled through, and so did most of the kittens.  She had 7 total - 5 are still alive, 1 was stillborn, 1 died a day later.  Minor miracle in Washington folks!  

Then, I have a weird vomiting cat who has weird blood work changes that I have absolutely no explanation for.  And the owner has no money to persue.  The cat could have parasites, allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, cancer, who knows?  So...we tried some Pepcid (yep, same stuff you and I take for heartburn...works nice in cats too) and apparentely I worked wonders with Pepcid.  Because the cat hasn't vomited in 3 days, and it's been vomiting 3-4 times a day for the past few months!  I still have no frickin' clue what's going on, but at least the cat is feeling better.  So we'll see what happens...*sigh*

And of course on top of the weird cases at work, there is the stress from the economy...especially since contract renewal time is rolling around...no indication that I might lose my job, but the thought keeps floating around the back of my mind.  I guess we'll see what happens in the next month or so...

Oh, and my car went retarded the other day and one of the little indicator lights came on.  Turns out the thermostat was going ka-put, so they had to replace that.  Only $400... -.-  And my mom's van had an indicator light come on too!  I mean honestly?  Can we not get a break somewhere along the line?  If I believed in the big man upstairs, I would say that I pissed someone up there off royally...  My mom's turned out to be her catalytic converter trying to die, so we are having to replace that to the tune of ~$350.  Oh, and did I mention my realtor might be trying to sell the house I'm renting out from under me?  Ugh...

But in some good news, the weather is getting nicer again, so maybe I can start checking out some stuff in the area...maybe.  My mom is trying to get me to join some sort of...something...locally, like a hiking club or whatever, to try to meet people...think she is almost as tired of me being single as I am.  Unfortunately, my work schedule doesn't mesh well with something that is a regular weekly/monthly/whatever sort of meeting, as I am never working the same days every week.  Maybe I'll just take the ballroom dancing lessons I wanted to take.  

Anyway, in spite of all my griping, life is going OK.  I'm OK, Mom's OK, cats are good.  Hopefully things stay at least "OK".  :)

1 comment:

  1. I would so take ballroom dancing lessons with you. I'm desperately trying to talk Bill into it - send some luck my way!

    ReplyDelete